Basement remodelling can transform a dreary space into a gorgeous living area, a lively entertainment hub, or even a cozy home theatre. Here at The Keystone Contractor, we want our customers to be informed of the rewards and the risks that home improvement projects present. In this article, we’re specifically looking at ways to avoid common risks of basement remodelling projects.
Here are our top five tips to ensure your basement remodelling project is a success:
- Waterproof Your Basement. Most of your home’s water lines run through the basement, so its potential for leaks is high. Identifying and fixing water issues in the basement and taking waterproofing measures are crucial to the basement remodel.
- Preserve Your Foundation. If your basement remodelling plans involve digging, ensure the excavation doesn’t compromise the foundation. Digging too deep can damage the foundation.
- Prevent Flooding. Prevalent in basements, flooding occurs primarily due to sumps, which are water-collecting basins. If water isn’t adequately pumped out from these basins, it can lead to basement flooding. Installing a battery-powered sump pump can safeguard against this, ensuring the pump operates even during power outages.
- Ensure Proper Drainage. When external modifications are made around the basement, such as planting shrubs, it’s essential to consider how the remodelling might affect the slope of the terrain. Be sure to check that the drainage is directed away from the basement to prevent water from intruding.
- Work with Someone You Trust. We have assisted with numerous basement remodelling projects over the past 25 years, and we’d love to help you transform your outdated basement into a beloved space.
Call us today if you have basement remodelling questions or want to discuss your plans.